BATAVIA – The Green Walk will take place from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, June 15, at the downtown Batavia Riverwalk and across the pedestrian bridge to the Farmers' Market on River Street.
The Green Walk will feature vendors, local organizations and individuals at the Riverwalk who raise awareness on green initiatives, physical fitness and healthy living. Attendees will enjoy food, live music, demonstrations, educational activities and kayaks and paddle boats.
The event will feature more than 60 vendors and an extended farmers market on North River Street from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. A full schedule of free classes and live music also will be offered at the Peg Bond Center, 151 Island Ave., Batavia.
There will also be “green” talks at the City Hall Council Chambers, which will feature speakers discussing everything from birds and allergy-free cooking to recreation in Kane County and water quality.
The schedule of events are as follow:
• 7 to 9 a.m. – United Way 5k Daddy Dash
• 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. – Farmers' Market on N. River St.
Green Talk Mini-Lectures in the City Council Chambers
• 10 a.m. – Plastic Water Bottles, Community and You with Dianne Peterson,
Our Children Our Earth
• 10:45 a.m. – Lawns to Edible Food Forests with Jodi Trendler & Michele Hickey,
The Resiliency Institute
• 11:30 a.m. – Birds in the Fox River Valley with Bob Andrini,
Kane County Audubon
• 12:15 p.m. – Allergy Free Cooking with Chef Caitlin Boyer
• 1:00pm But My House Was Built to Code! with Jerry Needham,
Pro Energy Consultants
•1:45 p.m. – Fox River Water Quality with Gary Swick, Friends of the Fox 2:30 p.m. Hike, Bike and More in Kane County with Julie Kolvula, Sierra Club
• 3:15 p.m. – Conscious Shopping; Conscious Cooking with Jennifer Downing, Nourish
Band Shell Activities:
• 10 a.m. – Tai Chi Class with Renee Ryan (particapatory)
• 10:45 a.m. – Performance by Chang Lee's Dream Team Taekwondo
• 11:15 a.m. – Dance Class with Batavia Academy of Dance (participatory)
• Noon – Jim Green performs acoustic blues and folk music
• 1:15 p.m. – Self Defense Class with Change Lee (particapatory)
• 2 p.m. – Yoga Class with Kathy Freelund (particapatory)
• 3 p.m. – Tyler Krienitz performs live music
All day activities:
• More than 60 eco-friendly booths and local artisans
• Activities for kids and family
• Water Street Studio School of Art: Fruit Stamping project with recycled materials.
• Decorating Pots and Planting Seeds with Insurance Direct
• Making Seed Balls for the birds with Nest & Twig
• Side Walk Chalk with The Green Tomato Grocery Cooperative
• Family Bike Ride at 10 a.m. (register with firstname.lastname@example.org or call 630-326-9625)
• Recycling Game with Batavia Environmental Commission
• Paddle Boat rentals form 1 to 6 p.m.
• Kayak rentals all day
• Free yoga all day at A Journey Om, 109 E. Wilson (every 30 minutes from 10 a.m. to noon); and at Shine, 5 N. River St., from noon to 2 p.m.; and the Batavia Park District Kathy Freelund at 2 p.m. at the Band Shell.
• Free tai chi at the bandshell at 10 a.m. and sporadically with The Light Heart Center booth
For more information, visit www.downtownbatavia.com/greenwalknew.