Geneva artist featured on ‘Sunday Morning’ show
By NATALIE WICKMAN - email@example.com
Parents typically don’t let their children paint parts of the house, but exceptions have been made.
“Growing up, I was encouraged to be creative by my mother,” said Marla Shega, an artist working and living in Geneva. “We had white panel doors, and she let me paint scenery on [them]. She understood me. She was always in the background cheering me on.”
Shega is the creator of Marla’s Palette, her one-woman company through which she sells her work to clients across the country. She recently garnered attention after her painting “Sol” was featured on the “CBS News Sunday Morning” show. “Sol” was initially created as a wine label for Rick Mamoser of Prairie State Winery in Genoa.
“After each segment, [“Sunday Morning”] will show an image of a sun. So, when I did the sun for Rick, I thought I might as well send it in, never thinking they would run it so quickly,” Shega said.
It ran July 21, about a month after she sent it.
A professional artist for 35 years, Shega creates most of her work with watercolors or pen and ink. She works in a variety of artistic mediums, including wine labels, greeting cards, ornaments and coloring books.
“It’s all done by hand. I don’t do anything on the computer except billing and business-related things,” she said. Her work has become known for its realism and attention to detail.
Shega has struck up several business relationships. Locally, her work has been sold at the Strawflower Shop in Geneva for 10 years, and she plans to continue business with the shop. Her art also is sold at the Mangel Florist shop at the Drake Hotel in Chicago.
“She’s a very sweet person; we’ve had her in the hotel and ... she’s very pleasant to talk to. [Her work] is very professionally done,” said Susan Mangel, co-owner of the Mangel Florist.
Norman Rockwell, James Bama and da Vinci are credited as some of Shega’s inspirations.
Her future projects include illustrations of apples for Jonamac Orchards in Malta, another label for Prairie State Winery’s Nouveau wine and designing a coloring book for Creative Platypus in Oregon.
Prairie State Winery will debut the wine with Shega’s “Sol” label at its Sycamore location Sunday, Sept. 1.
Shega’s work also can be found on her Facebook page at www.facebook.com/pages/Marlas-Palette/132257403490097.
More Lifestyle News
- Chit Chat: Batavia author pens successful action tales
- National Toasted Marshmallow Day to be celebrated Aug. 30 in Geneva
- KC and the Sunshine Band to perform Aug. 29
- Geneva Park District Kite Festival to take place Sept. 6
- Anderson Animal Shelter Jewelry Faire to take place Sept. 5-7
- Author to host book-signing event at Barnes & Noble
- Kane County Sheriff Pat Perez's eighth annual car, motorcycle show set for Aug. 30
- Garfield Farm Museum to host 25th annual heirloom garden show Aug. 24
- Children's choir from East Africa to perform Aug. 23 in Geneva
- Kane County Audubon to host bird walk in St. Charles on Aug. 23