Celebrate Scandinavian heritage at Swedish Midsommar Festival on Sunday
By KANE COUNTY CHRONICLE - email@example.com
GENEVA – The 103rd annual Swedish Midsommar Festival (not to be confused with Geneva’s Swedish Days) celebrates the traditions and accomplishments of Americans of Scandinavian heritage. The day-long event will take place beginning at 9 a.m. Sunday, June 16, at Good Templar Park, Geneva.
The event will feature cultural activities, crafts, tours of the Swedish cottages, folk dancers, old-time games and musical entertainment. The celebration of Scandinavian culture opens with the delicious Swedish pancake breakfast at 9 a.m., followed by the traditional herring breakfast at 10 a.m. Reverend Don Linder will lead a non-denominational worship service at 10 a.m. At 11 a.m., Inez Tornblom will offer a free mini-Swedish lesson.
There will be activities for families and children throughout the day, in addition to special Cottage Walks ($5) visiting several of the charming Swedish summer cottages or stugas. There will also be presentations and tours of the historic Viking ship, Raven, which was a featured attraction at the 1893 Columbian Exposition. The Viking ship tours cost $3 on June 16.
In addition, Viking re-enactors will be camped near the ship-demonstrating life in Viking times.
The schedule of events is as follows:
• Noon – Maypole raising and dancing, including Christopher Karl on violin, the Swedish American Children's Choir and the Nordic Dancers of Chicago.
• 12:30 p.m. – Second annual Lutefisk toss
• 1:15 p.m. – The opening ceremony, which includes a procession of flags; posting of colors by St. Charles Boy Scout Troop No. 1; national anthems; and guest speakers.
• 1:30 p.m. – Swedish American Children’s Choir will perform.
• 2:10 – Chicago Spelmanslag band will play music.
• 3 p.m. – The Nordic Dancers of Chicago will perform.
• 4 p.m. – A cash raffle drawing
Parking is free and off-road. Festival patrons in authentic Scandinavian costumes will be admitted for free. Children ages 12 and younger will also be admitted for free.
Good Templar Park is located at 528 E. Side Drive, Geneva. For information, visit www.swedishday.net.
More Family Fun News
- Irish band playing for a cause
- Holiday in the Grove set for Saturday
- Clinic to offer pet pictures during holiday open house
- Swedish Christmas, St. Lucia Festival set for Dec. 7
- St. Charles prepares for Electric Christmas Parade